Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Saffa Bug

Once bitten, forever smitten - got back from South Africa just a few days ago, with my head still in the sky and somewhere in Jobi - definitely the best city I've ever been to (apart from London... well... deuce!). I instantly fell in love with the City of Gold - and the City of Golden Cages.

Arriving in South Africa was weird. After flying for 10 hours all the way down to the Southern hemisphere, to the almost most southern point possible, in Africa which I expected to be (at least partly) a 3rd world country (oops that's not politically correct anymore?) - I arrived in Cape Town, which reminded me of Spain. Well weird!

Driving to Mossel Bay (the official start of the famous Garden Route) was finally bit more "african", or at least "african in a way I expected it" but still... it didn't feel like being on a different continent. Everything changed (after seeing Mossel Bay and Jeffrey's Bay, Knysna, the Tsitsikamma Nationalpark and P.E.) with the arrival in Durban. We couldn't help playing "spot the White" and some areas were well dodgy, I didn't feel scared but I never let my guard down...

A short visit in Pietermaritzburg for far too many cocktails (someone found a memory? I don't have one... ooops) and soon after the flight to Jobi, yup, the place I fell in love with. Anyone got a job to offer there? Wouldn't think twice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home